Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Routines

SPC Bailey Bullock
166th Engineer Company
2nd Platoon

From the outset, I have to say that I'm having a little trouble writing this blog entry. I've been waiting for inspiration to strike, but so far I've been out of luck. The reason for this is the fact that our company has fallen into a good routine and there hasn't been a lot to change since my last entry. First platoon has continued their work on the TOC expansion, and it has been going very well. I found out this week that when they began the project they were given 75 days to complete it. Shortly after they began the work, they were told that they actually had only 35 days to complete the work. Not happy news. But they took the change in stride and have put themselves on pace to meet or beat that deadline. They have been working some long days, and even half days on Sundays, but they are getting the job done.

For Second Platoon, there has been a lot of preparation and waiting for our next mission to start. For the last couple of weeks, we have been sending out assessment teams to different bases all over our region of Afghanistan. Their mission has been to assess the status of these bases for our upcoming missions. I can't go into where these missions will be or what exactly we will be doing, but I can say that I think these will be some of the most important missions we will get on this deployment. The work we will do will directly help the soldiers on those bases and, hopefully, will make their lives a little bit better over the coming months.

For Third Platoon, I unfortunately have no updates. They are still out on their mission, and I haven't heard any news of their progress. I have no doubt that they are doing a good job and getting the work done. They are a great bunch of men and women, and I know their mission will be a success.

It seems to me that most of us have fallen into our own individual routines. We get up in the morning, go to chow, and then off to whatever duties we have that day. We have our
platoon and squad meetings at night after dinner, exercise, watch movies and relax, and spend time calling home. These things don't seem to change much from day to day. It's funny how even though we are away from home, on the other side of the world, the act of falling into a routine is the same. I know it is inevitable, but it is weird when you realize it has happened, especially when you are so far from home and in a combat zone. Even the uniqueness of our situation doesn't change how life works.

On a more personal note, I want all of you at home to know the time and effort that so many of your soldiers are putting into staying in contact with you. From buying pre-paid cell phone card after pre-paid cell phone card, to sitting in line for 20 minutes to get on a phone at the MWR, to staying up to write letters, your soldiers have been making you a priority in the midst of all the other duties and work they do. I don't say this to try and create any sense of guilt. On the contrary, I tell you this because I want you to know what they are doing for you. Just know that even though communication to the States isn't a big obstacle, your soldiers are making an effort for you each time you hear from them. You are all on our minds each day, and we do what we can so you can know that.

No comments: