Thursday, December 3, 2009

Change


SPC Bailey Bullock
166th Engineer Company
2nd Platoon

The thought just occurred to me as to who we are at this point in the deployment. By this time we are all well adjusted to our roles here. We each know our job. We each know the people that we work with and spend time with. But the question just occurred to me: are we different now from when we first left? This question seems to be more and more relevant now that our return home is getting so close. I think in the backs of many of our minds it is one that bothers or even scares us, because the answer is probably “Yes”.

It is very easy to miss change over time. Sudden changes are almost always noticeable, but they are also the most infrequent. Most often in life, in my experience, change is gradual and lengthy, thus it can easily be missed unless you look for it. When I look back at this deployment, I can see how I have adapted to my environment. My language is a little more like a sailor; my definition of clean is a little looser; even my daily habits of sleep and eating are far different than what they were at home.

I don't want to sound like this is a big surprise. It is inevitable for change to occur. For us to be able to function effectively and do our duty, we have to adapt to the situations we find over here. It is part of our training from the very beginning. But what we can't forsee is what will stick with us as a result of adapting. An experience like this can't help but change who you are, even if just a little.

Knowing this, questions begin to arise: how will these changes effect my life at home and are there changes that I can't see? Will they simply fall away once I'm out of this unique situation, or are some of them permanent? Are all of these changes good? Will our families and friends back home understand them, like them, or hate them? Will we be able to turn them off if we need to? I can't say, and don't think that I'm supposed to be able to.

I've seen the commercials on Armed Forces Network talking about the adjustment back to life at home and shrugged them off like most people. While the commercials may be melodramatic, I now see that the issue is real. The return home is a big change for us as well as our families and friends, and it is full of uncertainties that are somewhat unnerving.

I tell you all of this to ask for your understanding and patience when we get home. Even though we are coming home to you, those we know and love, it is going to be an adjustment for all of us again. If we have some bad habits that really grate on you, cut us a little slack. Give us some time. We are still the men and women that left last February, just with a few amendments. And whatever the result of the changes in us that occurred as the result of this deployment, please keep in mind that they are part of our service. They are part of the sacrifice that we all have made to serve our country, and I truly believe that we will all come home better for the experience.

No comments: