Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Thanks From Home

Jason Swift is a long-time friend. He was actually the first friend I made when I joined the military in 1995...taking me under his wing and making sure I stayed out of trouble. Today, he's a school teacher in Huntsville and sent a few thoughts to me yesterday. I've had these same considerations from time to time when I've been at home, enjoying a cold beer and the company of friends and family. It's too well-said not to post here.

"The leaves are starting to turn colors here and football is in the air. We had homecoming last week and it got me thinking about you and all the soldiers fighting over there. If it weren't for you patriots taking the fight to the enemy in his own backyard and making him constantly worry about his own life, then we probably wouldn't be able to have this football game; and all of these students and parents sitting in the stands without a care in the world, but for their son or daughter and what a great life they have. It's you and your men and women fighting the enemy and destroying their maniacal way of thinking that keeps us free to live our lives in freedom.

I want you and all of your soldiers to know that I appreciate the commitment you all have made to keeping my life free from the terror that plagues the citizens of weaker nations. I go to work and my students attend class and football games under the umbrella of protection that begins in Afghanistan and spreads across the globe. Without the sacrifice your making over there, my life would not be the same. What you all are doing on a daily basis makes a difference; not only where you are, but also here in America, and for this, you and your soldiers have my unending gratitude."

Thank you, Jason, and, again, thank you to all of the friends and families thinking of us here.

No comments: